Custom Date Fields are personalized keywords allow you to insert of keywords for each recipient to personalize an email or fax message. For example, this functionality may be used for a personalized message, but more importantly it allows the system to search between a range of dates, i.e. the last 30 days. Since these values are inserted at the time of send it is especially important that you are mindful of your Custom Date Field usage, in particular that the originating data source contains correct information.
Custom Date Fields are visible to everyone in the account regardless of your Enterprise Asset rules.
All accounts have Custom Date Fields enabled and are limited to 30.
Initially all users have access to Custom Date Fields in Real Magnet, however, administrative users may limit access to these fields. The specific permission that would need to be enabled for Custom Fields is:
- Custom Fields
This is an as needed set-up process from the Contacts page in Real Magnet. While Real Magnet comes equipped with 12 default personalization fields, at times you may have your own set that you would like to use in segmentation with Marketing Automation, or even for personalization purposes. Custom Date Fields cannot begin with a number or be left blank.
These fields should ultimately be reserved in the event you want to use date specific segmentation, there is only a limit of 30 fields available.
To configure additional Custom Date Fields:
- Select Contacts.
- Select Custom Fields.
- Enter a name for the Custom Date Field.
- Check the date check box.
- Select Submit.
Using Custom Date Fields
Once configuration is completed, you can upload values to Custom Date Fields, in order for use in Marketing Automation or Message Personalization.
Uploading Groups Custom Date Fields
Uploading CSV files with or without date fields is virtually the same process. With date fields, however, the values for dates must conform to a date:
Important: If a single value in a csv file’s date column does not conform, the record will fail upon upload, it will be available in the Reject File.
Here’s a quick process for properly reformatting the values in the date column within Microsoft Excel:
- Highlight the entire date field column in the csv file (if you have more than one date column repeat the process for each individually).
- Click on the Format option on the top menu bar.
- Click on Cells option from the drop down list.
- Click on the Number tab.
- Select the Date option from the category list.
- Highlight the second to last option, “03/14/2001,” from the type list and click OK.
The values in the csv file’s date column now are properly formatted and ready to be uploaded into Real Magnet.
Searching on a Custom Date Field
Custom Date fields can be searched on like any other custom field, from the Contacts tab.
- Click Advanced Search.
- The third to last row on the Advanced Search menu is Custom Date Fields.
- Select the box next to the desired Custom Date Field.
- Choose your field name in the Advanced Search page.
- Next, the following search options are made available.
- By common time period (today, yesterday, this week, last week, etc.).
- Last X number of days (add all individuals to the group whose birthday occurred in the last 10 days).
- Less than or equal to X number of days/Greater than or equal X number of days (add all individuals to the group whose birth date is 30 days before or after 06/01/2004).
- From date X To date X (add all individuals to the group whose birthday occurs between 05/01/04 and 06/15/04)
Below are some common problems encountered when working with Custom Date Fields.
Why can’t I delete my field?
Custom Date Fields once created will always require a value in that field, you can remove the details for your recipients by uploading a csv file with NULL values, or rename the Custom Date Field but you cannot delete it once created.
Why won’t it create the Custom Date field?
Does it start with a number? Custom Date Fields cannot begin with a number, continually there are also some words and phrases that are blocked by our application. Most likely you’ll just need to change the field name.
Why can’t I see my Custom Date Field choice when I am uploading
At times, especially if you are uploading via an integration, your session will just need to be refreshed. Log out and log back in and you should be able to view this field.
Why did some of my uploaded records return an Invalid date field in my Reject File?
Date fields must be formatted properly in your csv file. While Real Magnet will convert a great deal many of date fields, it is recommended that your date follow the format: month/day/year, e.g. 01/02/2015.