A suppression is an absolute Do Not Send status in Real Magnet. Once a recipient is suppressed they will no longer receive any emails from that account. It is for this reason that reversing a suppression is a manual process.
The difference between Suppression and Unsubscribe
If you’re unsubscribe setting is Unsubscribe to All Groups, then unsubscribe and suppression are effectively the same. Technically Real Magnet treats them differently, but the effect is the same: the recipient will no longer receive messages.
If your unsubscribe setting is Unsubscribe to Group or Message Category, then there is a big difference. Suppression is a higher level of Do Not Send than unsubscribe. When someone unsubscribes, they are only unsubscribed from the particular group or message category. When someone is suppressed, they will receive no future messages regardless of what groups they are in or what categories they are subscribed to.
Suppression may be managed by any user with access to the account. There are specific permissions that can be removed for a user, if you would like to remove their ability to suppress.
- Suppress Recipient
- List Suppressed Recipients in a Group
- Upload Suppress Recipients List
- List of suppressed Recipients
A recipient can be suppressed in a number of ways, these are defined with the status in the user interface below.
- Manual: A Real Magnet user manually suppressed the recipient record.
- List Upload: A Real Magnet user uploaded a list of recipients to suppress.
- Campaign: A Real Magnet user created a campaign in Marketing Automation to automatically suppress individuals.
- Suppression Across Accounts: For Real Magnet accounts with a Parent/Child structure suppression can be either shared or cascaded across accounts.
- Automatic System Suppression:
- Spam Complaint: Real Magnet automatically suppresses recipients who register a spam complaint. This cannot be reversed by a Real Magnet user and requires an email forwarded to Real Magnet Support from that recipient requesting to be added back to your mailing.
- User Not Found: Real Magnet automatically suppresses User Not Found bounces if we have received two consecutive User Not Found bounces.
- Bad Domain: Real Magnet automatically suppresses Bad Domain bounces if we have received two consecutive Bad Domain bounces.
- Auto Non-engaged: Real Magnet can automate a rule for your account to auto suppress recipients who have not opened X number of emails consecutively.
- Previous: Recipients who receive seven consecutive “Generic Soft” bounces or five consecutive “Mailbox Full” bounces will be moved to this suppression type.
Managing Suppression Lists and Records
Greater capabilities to manage suppression lists and records have been added to Real Magnet as well. By clicking the Suppression link in the left side navigation of the Tools tab (Contacts tab if you are using the new interface), users are able to generate the suppression lists that reside in Real Magnet. Three types of suppression lists can be created:
- Records whose email address only is suppressed
- Records whose fax number only is suppressed
- Records whose email address and fax number are both suppressed
Once a list is generated, an individual record or group of records can be located by using the Quick Search functionality found at the top of the list page. By clicking the Details button associated with a specific recipient, you can access that recipient’s record and modify their suppression status by clicking the Modify Suppression Status icon.
Uploading a suppression list
Organize the suppression list into a .CSV file. The list must include only email addresses.
Navigate to Tools (Contacts in new interface) in Real Magnet:
- Click Suppression on the left.
- Select upload a suppression list.
- Choose your file.
- Select the check box if your .CSV file contains a header row.
- Click the Upload File.
Below are some common problems encountered when working with suppressed recipients.
Why did I my recipient not receive my message?
Did you check to see if they were suppressed? If they are you can remove the suppression status.
Can I send an individual email to a suppressed record?
If I add a suppressed recipient to the AdHoc Recipient list on a group send will they receive the email?