A suppression is an absolute Do Not Send status in Real Magnet. Once a recipient is suppressed they will no longer receive any emails from that account. It is for this reason that reversing that suppression is a manual process. Most often a suppression is completed by uploading records to the account via Tools, across accounts using Suppression Across Accounts, or by individual recipient.
The difference between Suppression and Unsubscribe
If you’re unsubscribe setting is Unsubscribe to All Groups, then unsubscribe and suppression are effectively the same. Technically Real Magnet treats them differently, but the effect is the same: the recipient will no longer receive messages.
If your unsubscribe setting is Unsubscribe to Group or Message Category, then there is a big difference. Suppression is a higher level of Do Not Send than unsubscribe. When someone unsubscribes, they are only unsubscribed from the particular group or message category. When someone is suppressed, they will receive no future messages (emails, faxes, and/or SMS) regardless of what groups they are in.
Suppression may be managed by any user with access to the account, there are additional permissions per suppression functionality that should be enabled as well:
- List of suppressed Recipients
- List Suppressed Recipients in a Group
- Suppress Recipient
- Upload Suppress Recipients List
A recipient can be suppressed in a number of ways, these are defined with the status in the user interface below.
- Manual: A Real Magnet user suppressed the recipient record.
- List Upload: A Real Magnet user uploaded a list of recipients to suppress.
- Campaign: A Real Magnet user created a campaign in Marketing Automation to automatically suppress individuals.
- Suppression Across Accounts: For Real Magnet accounts with a Parent/Child structure suppression can be either shared or cascaded across accounts.
- Automatic System Suppression:
- Spam Complaint: Real Magnet automatically suppresses recipients who register a spam complaint. This cannot be reversed by a Real Magnet user and requires an email forwarded to Real Magnet Support from that recipient requesting to be added back to your mailing.
- User Not Found: Real Magnet automatically suppresses User Not Found bounces if we have received two consecutive User Not Found bounces.
- Bad Domain: Real Magnet automatically suppresses Bad Domain bounces if we have received two consecutive Bad Domain bounces.
- Auto Non-engaged: Real Magnet can automate a rule for your account to auto suppress recipients who have not opened X number of emails consecutively.
A recipient can be suppressed from receiving emails, faxes, or SMS messages.
Managing Suppression Lists and Records
Greater capabilities to manage suppression lists and records have been added to Real Magnet as well. By clicking the Suppression link in the left side navigation of the Tools section, users are able to generate the suppression lists that reside in Real Magnet. Three types of suppression lists can be created:
- Records whose email address only is suppressed
- Records whose fax number only is suppressed
- Records whose email address and fax number are both suppressed
Once a list is generated, an individual record or group of records can be located by using the Quick Search functionality found at the top of the list page. By clicking the Details button associated with a specific recipient, you can access that recipient’s record and modify their suppression status by clicking the Modify Suppression Status icon.
Uploading a suppression list
Organize the suppression list into a .CSV file. The list must include one column only whose value is either email addresses or fax numbers. This list merely identifies the records where suppression activity will take place. The next step determines what type of message (email, fax, or both) the recipients will be suppressed from receiving.
Navigate to Tools in Real Magnet:
- Click Suppression.
- Select how you’re identifying the records in your Real Magnet database—by either email address or fax number (your list should contain these values).
- Select the type of message(s) recipients are to be suppressed from receiving: email only, fax only, or both email and fax.
- Once you have selected these options, click the Choose File button, and find the suppression list on your computer.
- Select the check box if your .CSV file contains a header row.
- Click the Upload File.
Below are some common problems encountered when working with suppressed recipients.
Why did I my recipient not receive my message?
Did you check to see if they were suppressed? If they are you can remove the suppression status.
Can I send an individual email to a suppressed record?
If I add a suppressed recipient to the AdHoc Recipient list on a group send will they receive the email?